Senior DesignerLocation: College Station, TX
American Fire Protection Group (AFPG) is growing! Because of that growth, we are seeking qualified applicants for an open Senior Designer position in our College Station, TX office. The Senior Designer has a direct impact on the success of our business, making tangible contributions valued by the company and our customers.
- Enjoy variety in your work
- Value building relationships with others and have a knack for it
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment doing challenging work
…then we would love to hear from you!
What makes someone successful in this role?
- Being organized is paramount.
- Bringing consistent excellence to work completed.
- Following through on commitments.
- Behaving in an unbiased and fair manner – there can be no favorites.
- Flexibility to adapt to our constantly changing industry with a willingness to learn and improve.
What can you expect to accomplish in your first year on the job?
- Developing an understanding of the current flow of work and how to make minor changes to provide major improvements.
- Designing a variety of projects.
- Potentially training new Engineers.
- Improving flow of your handoffs from Sales to Design.
- Maximizing materials usage.
Why Choose to Work for AFPG?
- We offer competitive pay for experienced fire protection experts. Pay is based on the level of experience you have in the fire protection industry.
- We are owned by the APi Group, a publicly traded, multi-billion-dollar corporation based in Minnesota. This is a benefit that provides financial support and backing, world-class training, and leadership development.
- We offer an industry leading benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, flex spending, tuition reimbursements, a generous profit-sharing program, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, and an employer-matched 401(K).
- We strongly believe in promoting from within. Every employee has the opportunity to participate in our Individual Development Plan (IDP) process. If you have the drive to make a better career for yourself, we will help you achieve that goal.
- We strongly advocate for the use of the most current technology our industry has to offer.
- We are an engaged organization with strong and authentic values, with clear evidence of trust and fairness, where two-way promises and commitments are understood and fulfilled.
- We hire people whose values align with ours. This is a key element of our People/Talent Development Operating Code tenet.
- Many of our employees have worked with us for over 30 years. We believe if you invest in the right people, you will create long-lasting professional relationships that benefit everyone.
- We have a longstanding commitment to hire veterans, both in the field and in the office.
- Applicable Engineering or Technical Degree from a college or technical school.
- Proven ability and track record of performing work in a timely manner and meeting deadlines.
- Proven ability to assess upcoming work and prioritize.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong mathematic and analytical skills.
- Ability to coordinate and work well with others.
- Desire to learn and improve.
- Competence using Microsoft Office products.
- NICET Level III or IV Certification in Water-Based Systems.
- Firm grasp of project management from the design handoff through project turnover.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in fire protection design in a variety of commercial, industrial, and residential type projects.
- Ability to travel overnight occasionally.
- Reviewing construction contract documents and coordinate with subcontractors and General Contractors/Owners to gather the required information to design project sprinkler systems.
- Thorough use of analytical thinking and problem solving, determining construction feasibility and systems possibilities.
- Developing positive and ongoing relationships with customers to ensure company is meeting customers’ expectations.
- Assisting as required with estimating takeoffs and estimates for sales team.
- Producing design concept drawings and hydraulic calculations for sales presentations.
- Providing technical assistance as required by the Sales and other departments.
- Providing oversight of coordination between departments.
- Ensuring proper handoffs from sales to design, design to the field, and project closeouts.
- Assessing and prioritizing Design Department schedules to ensure proper staffing is in place on each project.
- Responsible for directing, supervising, and final verification of the code compliant and labor efficient design for the project from the initial handoff to final project closeout.
- Ensuring appropriate approvals are received and shop drawings are complete so that field crews hit the job with plans and materials at the right time.
- Conducting budgeting, tracking, and management of Design Department hours, and holding Designers responsible for meeting budgets.
- Ensuring change orders/change estimates are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensuring proper closeout documents and procedures are followed proactively on each project.
- Providing and/or coordinating training for Designers.
See all of our current job openings.