American Fire Protection Group believes in the importance of Apprenticeship Training as illustrated in this video produced by the American Fire Sprinkler Association (AFSA). AFPG actively participates in the invaluable programs offered through the AFSA.
Our Mission at American Fire Protection Group is to be the leading solutions provider within the fire protection industry always bringing our finest effort, exceptional ideas and incomparable character to every project. Paramount to AFPG’s successful pursuit of this mission is the hiring of quality people whose values align with ours. Our values are strong and they produce exceptional results.
What are those values?
- Caring and enduring relationships with others
- Honesty and Integrity
- Excellence on all levels
- Fulfilling work
- Safety and Risk Management First Culture
At AFPG we are committed to each individual’s success. We know our team members and we care about them, and it shows. Like our parent company, the APi Group, we are committed to helping each person grow through training, leadership development and advancement. We have well-defined career paths and training opportunities that help support the growth and skill sets needed to progress on those paths.
- United States Department of Labor approved Apprenticeship Program
- Foreman / Supervisor Leadership Training
- Project Manager Leadership Training
- Branch Manager Leadership Training
- Regionally based Leader Labs
- Strategic Level Leader Labs
- Emerging leadership training
We augment training by paying for and encouraging participation in job-related conferences, seminars and workshops. We also offer a tuition reimbursement program, along with a highly competitive benefits package that includes a 401K with matching and an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program).
If you’re interested in joining our highly-respected team of professionals, start the application process today by submitting an online application via the Apply Now link for one of our open positions.
American Fire Protection Group, and its divisions, believes in Equal Opportunity for all and is committed to ensuring all individuals, including individuals with disabilities, have an opportunity to apply for those positions that they are interested in and qualify for without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation and gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
This individual will design; coordinate, and possibly project manage fire sprinkler system installations for commercial, industrial, and residential buildings. He or she will design and create the finished representation for the sprinkler systems using drawing and drafting skills and tools; and will coordinate the design with architectural, structural and other building elements. The drawings produced will be used as a guide by every other link in the chain of construction, both on-site and in the office. This individual will have responsibility for creating material stock listing, analyzing changes, and solving problems. Close coordination with the project leader, construction leader, and sales representative will be required throughout the life of the project.
The Design Leader holds overall management responsibility for the operations of the Design Department. This individual is responsible for the conduct or oversight of providing technical assistance and coordination with all other departments. Responsible for ensuring proper handoffs from sales to design, design to the field, and project closeouts. Responsible for directing, supervising, and final verification of the code compliant and labor efficient design for the project. Responsible for budgeting, tracking, and managing the design department resources to produce quality, on-time drawings and information. Responsible for the training and mentoring of the designers.
- Applicable engineering or technical degree from a college or technical school
- Proven ability and track record of performing work in a timely manner and meeting deadlines
- Proven ability to assess upcoming work and prioritize
- Must be detail-oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong mathematic and analytical skills
- Ability to coordinate and work well with others
- Desire to learn and improve self
- Competence in using Microsoft Office products
- Working knowledge of AutoSPRINK fire sprinkler layout software
- NICET Level III or IV Certification in Water-Based Systems
- Firm grasp of project management from the design handoff through project turnover
- Minimum of five years’ experience in fire protection design in a variety of commercial, industrial, and residential type projects
- Ability to travel overnight occasionally
- Review construction contract documents and coordinate with sub contractors and General Contractor/owner to gather the required information to design the project’s sprinkler system
- Maintain contract documents throughout the life of the project and ensure changes from bulletins, addendums, ASI’s, CCD’s, etc. are addressed and processed
- Assist field personnel with design and coordination answers and write RFI’s as necessary
- Thorough use of analytical thinking and problem solving, determine construction feasibility and systems possibilities
- Create detailed drawings through extensive use of AutoSPRINK and Autodesk programs
- Coordinate our design drawings with other building components via job site meetings or 3D/BIM software and Navisworks
- Get price quotes, order materials and schedule deliveries
- Create stock list for all material required throughout the project
- Perform hydraulic calculations
- Maintain design historical records for future use
- Develop positive and ongoing relationships with customers to ensure company is meeting customers’ expectations
- Coordinate with other departments within office to ensure proper receipt and handover of job information
- Conduct surveys of existing buildings and fire sprinkler systems and accurately transfer the information into AutoCAD
- Perform Project Leader functions as required
- Complete other assigned responsibilities as directed by immediate supervisor or other AFPG management personnel
- Assist as required for estimating takeoffs and estimates
- Produce design concept drawings and hydraulic calculations for sales presentations
- Provide technical assistance as required by the Sales and other departments
- Provide oversight of coordination between departments
- Ensure proper handoffs from sales to design, design to the field, and project closeouts
- Assess and prioritize design department schedules to ensure proper staffing is in place on each project
- Responsible for directing, supervising, and final verification of the code compliant and labor efficient design for the project from the initial handoff to final project closeout
- Ensure appropriate approvals are received and shop drawings are complete so that field crews hit the job with plans and materials at the right time
- Conduct budgeting, tracking, and management of design department hours, and hold designers responsible for meeting budgets
- Ensure QA/QC of installations by field crew to meet code, plans, and specs
- Ensure change orders/change estimates are completed in a timely manner
- Ensure proper closeout documents and procedures are followed proactively on each project
- Provide and/or coordinate training for designers
See all of our current job openings.