Fire Alarm DesignerLocation: Dallas, TX
American Fire Protection Group (AFPG) is growing! Because of that growth, we are seeking qualified applicants for an open Fire Alarm Designer position in our Dallas, TX office. The Fire Alarm Designer is a key member of our Life Safety team – a technical expert whose efforts save lives.
- Enjoy the blending of your creative, science, and mathematics talents
- Appreciate the value of a skill set that always seems to be in high demand
- Thrive on commitment to a role that will reward you as you pour into it
…then we would love to hear from you!
What makes someone successful in this role?
- Being detail-oriented is paramount.
- Bringing meticulous excellence to whole projects every time.
- A coachable attitude, open to criticism.
- A commitment to observing lessons learned and applying them.
- Expert-level time management.
What can you expect to accomplish in your first year on the job?
- Designing of fire alarm systems for new and existing structures: residential, commercial, and industrial.
- Beginning to understand the “how’s and why’s?” of water-based fire protection.
- Starting or continuing your NICET certification journey.
Why Choose to Work for AFPG?
- We offer competitive pay for experienced fire protection experts. Pay is based on the level of experience you have in the fire protection industry.
- We are owned by the APi Group, a publicly traded, multi-billion-dollar corporation based in Minnesota. This is a benefit that provides financial support and backing, world-class training, and leadership development.
- We offer an industry leading benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, flex spending, tuition reimbursements, profit sharing, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, and a 401(K) with an employer match.
- We strongly believe in promoting from within. Every employee has the opportunity to participate in our Individual Development Plan (IDP) process. If you have the drive to make a better career for yourself, we will help you achieve that goal.
- We strongly advocate for the use of the most current technology our industry has to offer.
- We are an engaged organization with strong and authentic values, with clear evidence of trust and fairness, where two-way promises and commitments are understood and fulfilled.
- We hire people whose values align with ours. This is a key element of our People/Talent Development Operating Code tenet.
- Many of our employees have worked with us for over 30 years. We believe if you invest in the right people, you will create long-lasting professional relationships that benefit everyone.
- We have a longstanding commitment to hire veterans, both in the field and in the office.
- Applicable Engineering or Technical Degree from a college or technical school.
- NICET Certifications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong mathematic and analytical skills.
- Ability to coordinate and work well with others.
- Firm grasp of fire alarm codes and requirements from different jurisdictions/municipalities.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience in fire alarm design in a variety of commercial, industrial, and residential type projects.
- Ability to travel overnight occasionally.
- Reviewing construction contract documents and coordinating with subcontractors and General Contractors/Owners to gather the required information to design fire alarm systems.
- Thorough use of analytical thinking and problem solving, determining construction feasibility and systems possibilities.
- Developing positive and ongoing relationships with customers to ensure company is meeting customers’ expectations.
- Assisting as required with estimating takeoffs and estimates for Sales team.
- Producing design concept drawings and perform electrical calculations.
- Providing technical assistance as required by Sales and other departments.
- Providing oversight of coordination between departments.
- Ensuring proper handoffs from Sales to Design, Design to the Field, and project closeouts.
- Assessing and prioritizing Design Department schedules to meet project deadlines.
- Responsible for directing and doing the final verification of the code compliant and labor efficient design from the initial handoff to final project closeout.
- Ensuring appropriate approvals are received and shop drawings are complete, so field crews hit the job with plans and materials at the right time.
- Perform job-site surveys to ensure feasibility of fire alarm design and installation.
- Ensuring proper closeout documents and procedures are followed proactively on each project.
See all of our current job openings.