Careers at American Fire Protection Group
Fire Sprinkler DesignerLocation: High Point, NC
American Fire Protection Group (AFPG) is growing! Because of that growth, we are seeking qualified applicants for an open Fire Sprinkler Designer position in our High Point, NC office. The Fire Sprinkler Designer is a key member of our Life Safety team – a technical expert whose efforts save lives.
The Sprinkler Designer is responsible for designing; coordinating, and leading projects as required for fire sprinkler systems in commercial, industrial, and residential buildings. He or she will design and create the finished representation for the sprinkler systems using drawing and drafting skills and tools. The designer will have responsibility for the initial planning of a project including scheduling of time, creating material stock listing, analyzing changes, and solving problems. Close coordination with the project leader, superintendent, and sales representative will be required throughout the life of the project.
- Enjoy the blending of your creative, science, and mathematics talents
- Appreciate the value of a skill set that always seems to be in high demand
- Thrive on commitment to a role that will reward you as you pour into it
…then we would love to hear from you!
- Ensures Accountability: Holding self and others accountable to meet requirements.
- Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Manages Complexity: Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Plans and Aligns: Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Tech Savvy: Anticipating and adopting innovations in business-building digital and technology applications.
- Review construction contract documents and coordinate with sub-contractors and General Contractor/owner to gather the required information to design the project’s sprinkler system
- Thorough use of analytical thinking and problem solving, determine construction feasibility and systems possibilities
- Create detailed drawings through extensive use of AutoCAD, AutoSprink, or HydraCAD type programs
- Create stock list for all material required throughout the project
- Perform hydraulic calculations
- Develop initial schedules for preliminary project work
- Maintain design historical records for future use
- Develop positive and ongoing relationships with customers to ensure company is meeting customers’ expectations
- Coordinate with other departments within office to ensure proper handover of job information
- Perform Project Leader functions as required
- Complete other assigned responsibilities as directed by immediate supervisor
- Review design concepts with sales representatives
- Bring design in under budgeted hours
- Review materials lists thoroughly before hand-off to sales and/or purchasing
- Ensure all plans have accurate dimensions before hand-off to fitters
- Conduct self-study to build a strong understanding of codes and regulations and stay abreast of code updates
APi Group provides competitive compensation and benefits that support the total well-being of you and your family, as well as providing formal learning and development opportunities to continue building great leaders.
Why Choose to Work for AFPG?
- We offer competitive pay for experienced fire protection experts. Pay is based on the level of experience you have in the fire protection industry.
- We are owned by the APi Group, a publicly traded, multi-billion-dollar corporation based in Minnesota. This is a benefit that provides financial support and backing, world-class training, and leadership development.
- We offer an industry leading benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, flex spending, tuition reimbursements, profit sharing, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, and a 401(K) with an employer match.
- We strongly believe in promoting from within. Every employee has the opportunity to participate in our Individual Development Plan (IDP) process. If you have the drive to make a better career for yourself, we will help you achieve that goal.
- We strongly advocate for the use of the most current technology our industry has to offer.
- We are an engaged organization with strong and authentic values, with clear evidence of trust and fairness, where two-way promises and commitments are understood and fulfilled.
- We hire people whose values align with ours. This is a key element of our People/Talent Development Operating Code tenet.
- Many of our employees have worked with us for over 30 years. We believe if you invest in the right people, you will create long-lasting professional relationships that benefit everyone.
- We have a longstanding commitment to hire veterans, both in the field and in the office.
See all of our current job openings.